the totally rad '80s spiel
The Totally Rad '80s Spiel is a wacky, funny, and faithful take on the story of Esther, Haman, Vashti, Ahashverosh and Mordechai! Featuring parodies of your favorite '80s hits, this script and score will have you laughing and tapping your feet!
You'll love the parodies of songs like "Thriller," "Like a Virgin," "Love Shack," and "Little Red Corvette" and the blend of slapstick and sincerity that conveys the spirit of Purim and the heroism of Esther!
Included in the digital package, you'll receive:
- A full script and fully notated sheet music;
- A professionally-designed poster, in both JPG and PDF formats and one suitable for professional printing;
- Performance-ready "Karaoke" tracks (piano accompaniment only)
- Suggested megillah readings between each scene;
- A license for unlimited copies of the script and sheet music. (One license per organization per production, please.)
How many characters/songs/monkeys are in the show?
The Totally Rad '80s Spiel features 7 lead speaking roles, up to 7 minor speaking roles, room for many non-speaking characters, and 15 parody songs with many opportunities for ensemble singing and solos. Unfortunately, no monkeys.
Complete list of songs parodied:
- "Like a Virgin"
- "Love Shack"
- "Little Red Corvette"
- "When Doves Cry"
- "Don't You Forget About Me"
- "Sister Christian"
- "Jessie's Girl"
- "I Melt With You"
- "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"
- "Girls" (Beastie Boys)
Got any reviews I can read?
- "A HUGE thank you to my super totally rad friend Cantor Jamie Marx for writing such a phenomenal shpiel!" - Cantor Mary Thomas, Temple Beth El, Charlotte NC
- "Cantor Jamie Marx... you rock! And therefore so did we! AMAZING! Thank you!" - Cantor Judy Seplowin, Temple Beth-El, Providence, RI
- "80’s was great! Loved it!" - Cantor Leslie Niren, Temple Emanu-el of Dallas
- "It was a smashing success!" - Cantor Sarene Appelbaum, Temple Beth Torah, Melville, NY
sounds great! How do I buy it?
Click the "Add to Cart" button above and to the right. Like all the spiels on my site, purchasing The Totally Rad '80s Spiel is simple, fast and 100% digital. The website accepts all major credit cards and the confirmation email will include a link to download a ZIP file with all of the materials. Within minutes, you will be downloading the posters, MP3s, and PDF scripts in one convenient digital package.
want some songs transposed?
All songs can be individually transposed to the key of your choice. I charge a nominal fee of $10 per transposition, which includes the sheet music as well as the accompaniment track. Please email me with any requests.
Special Bonus TrackS!
Looking for a way to step up your Totally Rad '80s Spiel? Sing "Wanna Eat Hamentaschen," a parody of Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'," or "I'm a Grogger," a parody of "You Spin Me Round" by Dead or Alive. You could sing them as an encore, or get the room in the '80s spirit before the spiel starts!